Your browser is unsupported
We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
Prospective Students - BPS
Students wishing to apply to the BPS graduate program for fall admission should submit an application to the University of Illinois at Chicago by the following deadlines:
January 6: priority deadline for all applicants, particularly for fellowships.
February 15: absolute deadline for international applicants.
May 15: absolute deadline for domestic applicants.
Applications received after the BPS priority deadline of January 6th but before the University of Illinois at Chicago deadlines, will be considered only if the class has not been filled with students whose applications were submitted by the priority deadline. Only applications submitted by January 6th will be considered for fellowships. BPS does not accept applications for any term other than fall.
Baccalaureate Field: Biology, biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, pharmacology, pharmacy, or related biomedical science, or advanced degree (M.S., Pharm.D., or other.)
Grade Point Average: A recommended* grade point average of at least 3.00 (A=4.00) for the undergraduate degree.
GRE General exam is required with recommended* GRE minimums for application.
GRE General Exam (prior to August 2011):
Verbal: 500 Quantitative: 700 Analytical Writing: 4.0
GRE Revised General Exam (August 2011 to present):
Verbal: 153 Quantitative: 155 Analytical Writing: 4.0
For International Applicants: English Proficiency Test Score
TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic test scores is required with recommended* minimums for application:
"New" Internet TOEFL 100; with minimum subscores of Listening: 20, Reading: 20 , Speaking: 2, Writing: 21
"Old" Computer TOEFL: 250 "Old" Paper TOEFL: 600.
IELTS: 7.0, with minimum subscores of 6.0 in each area
PTE Academic: 67, with minimum subscores of 54 in each area
Recommended minimum scores are only to be used for guidance, but students with scores significantly below these levels are not typically accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS ( all applicants)
- Online application
- Current application fee
- Graduate Record Examination scores (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing) reported from ETS :
- Institution Code: 1851-University of Illinois at Chicago
- Department Code: 0613-Pharmaceutical Sciences
The following required materials should be electronically uploaded using the UIC application website:
- Three (3) letters of recommendation; the letters should be either requested during the online application procedure (a secure web-link for document upload will be emailed to the reference) or mailed to the department
- A personal statement outlining your objectives for graduate study (~1 page)
- A resume or curriculum vitae
The following required materials must be mailed to the BPS Director of Graduate Studies :
- Official, unopened transcripts from all Baccalaureate Degrees and Baccalaureate level courses (or equivalent);
- Official, unopened transcripts from any Graduate or Professional education;
- Director of Graduate Studies
UIC Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences
833 South Wood Street (MC 865)
Room 335, College of Pharmacy Building
Chicago, IL 60612-7231
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS (International applicants)
- TOEFL scores reported from ETS
Institution Code: 1851-University of Illinois at Chicago
Department Code: 47-Pharmacy
- or IELTS Academic scores reported from IELTS:
Institution Code: 1851 - University of Illinois at Chicago
Please be prepared to upload a PDF copy of your IELTS Academic score report
Paper copy of the score report should be mailed directly from testing service to:
UIC Office of Graduate Admissions (MC 018),
Chicago, Illinois 60680-7994.
- or PTE Academic scores reported from Pearson
Select University of Illinois at Chicago from the institution selection menu
- International students must also send an official "Proof of Degree" for all degrees that have been completed.
- The Declaration and Certification of Finances does not need to be completed at the time of application. Admitted students will need to submit the document after accepting the formal offer of admission.
OPTIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS (all applicants)
BPS program applicants are strongly encouraged to submit published research documents with applicant authorship and/or research related materials (upload under "Research Document" online. The UIC online application site also allows applicants to upload Optional Academic Documents (for example, non-credit courses and/or certificates).
Joint Degree Programs: Pharm.D./Ph.D. and MD/Ph.D.
For general information on the joint degree programs and application requirements refer to the COP Joint Degree Programs page or M.D./Ph.D. option web page. Joint degree applicants should supply the DGS with copies of all required documents indicated above, except application and fee (payable to the university), as well as a copy of formal application to the Pharm.D. or MD program.
Master's in Biopharmaceutical Sciences
Students are not currently being admitted to the M. S. Program in Biopharmaceutical Sciences.