Your browser is unsupported
We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOGNOSY
The Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy is located in the College of Pharmacy, and is an integral part of the University of Illinois at Chicago Health Science Center. The two graduate programs that constitute the core teaching mission of the department are Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy.
The Medicinal Chemistry program includes research in traditional synthetic medicinal chemistry but also incorporates cancer biology and neuroscience research. Pharmacognosy is the study of the chemistry, biochemistry, biology, taxonomy, and ethnobiology of natural products from plant, marine and other life origins. The overarching aim of research programs in the two complementary areas is translational drug discovery. The scopes of both fields are sufficiently broad to give students with many different science backgrounds a rewarding and challenging program of study. Areas of active interest include natural products chemistry, organic synthesis of medicinal agents, computational chemistry, structural biology, cell and molecular biology, drug metabolism, bioanalytical and molecular toxicology, and animal models.
Our current research foci are cancer, women's health, neurodegenerative and related psychiatric disorders, and anti-infectives. The department has excellent facilities for research in the major areas of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, and faculty have been highly successful in attracting continuing, extramural research support. We are proud of our record of training outstanding graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who now enjoy fruitful careers in academia, the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries as well as with government and other regulatory agencies.
Related Centers and Institutes:
- Center for Biomolecular Sciences (CBS)
- Institute for Tuberculosis Research (ITR)
- UIC/NIH Center for Botanical Supplements Research in Women's Health
- Center for Natural Products Technologies (CENAPT)
- World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre for Traditional Medicine
- UIC Cancer Center
- UIC Center for Structural Biology
- International Cooperative Biodiversity Group (ICBG)
University Scholars (Current and Past) in the Department:
- 2014-2017 : Guido Pauli
- 2007-2010 : Gregory Thatcher
- 2006-2009 : Alexander Neyfakh (Posthumous)
- 2005-2008 : Alexander Mankin
- 2004-2007 : Michael E. Johnson
- 2003-2006 : Richard van Breemen
- 1999-2002 : John Pezzuto
- 1998-2001 : Anton Hopfinger, Judy Bolton
- 1996-1999 : Djaja Djendoel Soejarto
- 1993-1996 : A. Douglas Kinghorn
- 1992-1995 : Geoffrey Cordell
- 1988-1991 : Norman Farnsworth