Your browser is unsupported
We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
James C Lee, PharmD, BCACP
Clinical Assistant Professor, Pharmacy Practice
Clinical Pharmacist, Ambulatory Pharmacy Services
Phone: (312) 996-5974
Fax: (312) 355-1916
Pager: (312) 996-2242
- Residency (PGY-2): Ambulatory Care, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City, IA, 2012
- Residency (PGY-1): Pharmacy Practice (Ambulatory Care Focus), University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City, IA, 2011
- PharmD, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo/Dallas, TX, 2010
- Undergraduate/Pre-Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 2006
Focus 1: Evaluation and optimization of clinical pharmacist-delivered medication management services in the context of ambulatory care settings and applied pharmacogenomics. Focus 2: Professionalization in clinical pharmacy education specifically relating to American student pharmacist and international trainee self-actualization.
1) Pharmacotherapy and medication management in ambulatory care settings (thrombosis, endocrinology, renal, cardiovascular, geriatric medicine), 2) Pharmacogenomics (principles and applications), 3) Professionalization and professional development
Dr. James Lee serves as the clinical lead and co-directs the Personalized Medicine Program at the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System, with focus in the application of anticoagulation/cardiovascular pharmacogenomics and the advancement of patient understanding and utilization of personal genetic information. His clinical responsibilities also includes service as an ambulatory care clinical pharmacist providing comprehensive anticoagulation management in pediatric, adult, and geriatric patient populations. Additionally, he leads the coordination of the College of Pharmacy's Pharmacy Learning, Advising, Mentoring, and Education for Students (PhLAMES) course series.
- Clinical Pharmacogenetics Implementation Consortium
- Illinois Council of Health-System Pharmacists
- Northern Illinois Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- Iowa Pharmacy Association
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists
Licenses and Certifications
- Board of Pharmacy Specialties, Ambulatory Care Pharmacy (BCACP), 2012
Awards and Honors
- 2015, Finalist, Team Member, UI Health Personalized Medicine Program, Award for Excellence in Medication Use Safety, ASHP Foundation & Cardinal Health Foundation
- 2014, Caught in the Act Award, University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System
- 2014, Employee of the Month, Ambulatory Pharmacy Services, University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System
- 2010, Achievement Medal, United States Public Health Service Commisioned Corps
- 2010, Elected Member, Phi Lambda Sigma
- 2010, Professional Achievement Award, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy
- Lee JC, Horner KE, Krummel ML, McDanel DL. "Clinical and Financial Outcomes Evaluation of Multimodal Pharmacist Warfarin Management of a Statewide Urban and Rural Population". J Pharm Pract. 2018;31(2):150-156. doi:10.1177/0897190017703506.
- Lee JC, Cox N, Patel SM, Lempicki KA, Helmer A. "2017 Updates on the accomplishments and initiatives of the ACCP Ambulatory Care Practice and Research Network (PRN)". Pharmacotherapy. 2017;37(12):e216. doi:10.1002/phar.2052.
- Manzoor BS, Cheng WH, Lee JC, Uppuluri E, Nutescu EA. "Quality of Pharmacist-Managed Anticoagulation Therapy in Long-Term Ambulatory Settings: A Systematic Review". Ann Pharmacother. 2017;51(12):1122-1137. doi:10.1177/1060028017721241.
- Quinn AL, Liko I, Lee JC. "Clinical effect of CYP2C9*5/*6 genotype on a patient's warfarin dose requirement". Pharmacogenomics. 2017;18(11):1051-57. doi:10.2217/pgs-2017-0059.
- Lee JC, Badowski M, Mucksavage JJ, Schoen M, Bolton JL, Grider L, Hanakahi L, Popovich NG, TenHoeve T, Vellurattil R. "Pharmacy Learning, Advising, Mentoring, and Engagement (PhLAMES): a program to achieve outcomes of domain four". Am J Pharm Ed. 2017;81(5):S6.
- Lee JC, Patel SM, Newsom L, Carrillo J. "2016 updates on the accomplishments and initiatives of the Ambulatory Care Practice and Research Network (PRN)". Pharmacotherapy. 2016;36(12):e281-2. doi:10.1002/phar.1877.
- Lee JC, Patel SM, Leung AK, Peters GL, Castelli GB. "2015 updates on the accomplishments and initiatives of the Ambulatory Care PRN". Pharmacotherapy. 2015;35(11):e213. doi:10.1002/phar.1659.
- Chang SM, Pan SJ, Lee JC. "Evaluating medication adherence and perception of adherence barriers among pharmacy students through a simulated drug regimen". Consult Pharm. 2015;30(10):589. doi:10.4140/TCP.n.2015.559.
- Hellenbart EL, Drambarean B, Lee JC, Nutescu EA. "The evolving role of dabigatran etexilate in clinical practice". Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2015;16(13):2053-72. doi:10.1517/14656566.2015.1074179.
- Lee JC, Bhat S. "Are We Dressed for Success?". iForumRX.org. 2015;.
- Manzoor B, Duarte J, Lee JC, Galanter WL, Walton SM, Galanter N, Krishnan JA, Bauman JL, Cavallari LH, Nutescu EA. "The impact of race on the association between a novel genotype-guided personalized medicine service and clinical outcomes in an ethnically diverse population". Value in Health. 2015;18(3):A131. doi:10.1016/j.jval.2015.03.765.
- Drozda K, Lee Y, Patel SR, Lee JC, Pugach O, Duarte JD, Nutescu EA, Cavallari LH. "Genetic associations with warfarin response in patients receiving genotype-guided dosing". Clin Pharmacol Ther . 2015;97(Suppl 1):S26. doi:10.1002/cpt.47.
- Gratie D, Cheng W, Drozda K, Duarte J, Lee JC, Galanter WL, Garofalo J, Krishnan J, Cavallari L, Nutescu E. "Impact of a pharmacist guided pharmacogenetics service on prediction of warfarin stable dose". Pharmacotherapy. 2014;34(10):e289. doi:10.1002/phar.1497.
- Lin SW, Kang WY, Lin DT, Lee JC, Lin Wu FL, Chen CL, Tseng YJ. "Comparison of warfarin therapy clinical outcomes following implementation of an automated mobile phone‐based critical laboratory value text alert system". BMC Med Genomics. 2014;7(Suppl 1):S1-13. doi:10.1186/1755-8794-7-S1-S13.
- Lee JC. "Oral anticoagulants in patients with variable renal function". Kiser K, ed. Oral anticoagulation therapy: cases and clinical correlation. Basel: Springer International Publishing; 2017: 61-8
- Lee JC. "Oral anticoagulants in stable moderate chronic kidney disease". Kiser K, ed. Oral anticoagulation therapy: cases and clinical correlation. Basel: Springer International Publishing; 2017: 43-52
- Lee JC. "Patient-centered strategies for improving warfarin management". Kiser K, ed. Oral anticoagulation therapy: cases and clinical correlation. Basel: Springer International Publishing; 2017: 101-8
- McDowell M, Patel R, Duarte J, Garofalo J, Drozda K, Galanter W, Stamos T, Gordeuk V, Lee JC, Krishnan J, Cavallari L, Nutescu E. (2013). "The Impact of a Pharmacist Guided Pharmacogenetics Service on Prediction of Warfarin Stable Dose. (Poster)". University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Quality Fair.
- Lee JC, McDanel DM, Horner KE, Krummel ML. (2012). "Evaluation of clinical and financial outcomes of a pharmacist-managed anticoagulation clinic. (Platform presentation) ". Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference.
- Lee JC, McDanel DM, Horner KE, Krummel ML. (2011). "Comparison of pharmacist-managed anticoagulation patients in clinic and telephone-based settings. (Poster) ". Pharmacy Council Meeting. University HealthSystem Consortium.
- Lee JC. (2010). "Alcaftadine, Azelastine, Bepotastine, Mometasone/formoterol (new drug therapy presentations). ". Progress in Internal Medicine (conference). The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine.
- Hammerstrom AE, Dyer-Price PM, Wiggins C, Stojanovic D, Whittington B, Archer B, Yoder H, Lee JC, Hawver J, Holt C, . (2008). "Antibiotics Awareness: Educating Our Communities. (Poster) ". Midyear Clinical Meeting. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
- Lee JC. (2008). "PILL Talk: A new approach to learning about pharmacy residencies. (Poster)". Midyear Clinical Meeting. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.