Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Diversity Statement Heading link
Definition of Diversity at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy
The College community fosters an inclusive and supportive environment encompassing acceptance and respect of differences among students, staff, faculty, patients, and guests. Diversity connotes recognition of the variety of ways of being and thinking. Diversity involves a multifaceted set of institutional practices, which value the understanding that each individual is unique and equal. It recognizes the individual, group, and organizational differences and how each contributes to the overall betterment of the community through academic excellence and service to the state, nation, and global society. These differences include but are not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, disabilities, and beliefs (e.g., health, sociological, religious, and socio-cultural barriers). These different groups will be represented in all facets of the College’s education and experiences such as our curricula content, faculty, student, staff and research representations to ensure a College climate that promotes the well-being and success of all.
Mission Statement Heading link
The mission of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) office is to promote increased recruitment, retention and advancement of diverse faculty, students and staff, and to oversee all diversity, equity and inclusion activities involving UIC College of Pharmacy. The office also acts as a central resource for monitoring diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and outcomes of the College’s Diversity Strategic Thinking and Planning committee.
DEI believes that diversity adds value to intellectual development, academic discourse, patient care, research and service. The sharing of diverse ideas and perspectives is essential to the development of future leaders in health care to better serve our communities, and nation.
DEI is committed to creating an environment that places importance on embracing, appreciating, and capitalizing on the rich perspectives and backgrounds of students, faculty and staff in other to accomplish a shared mission and vision.
Responsibilities of the office include:
- leadership of the college’s Diversity Strategic Thinking and Planning Committee.
- implementing the college’s framework to foster diversity and inclusion
- oversight of the creation of diversity and inclusion committees in the college.
- partnering with the campuses Office of Diversity, Equity, and Engagement.
Additional goals for the office include:
- bridging diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across the Chicago and Rockford campuses.
- increasing the diversity of candidate pools for faculty and staff positions,
- creating and expanding diversity-related professional-development opportunities for faculty, staff, and students.
- promoting the creation of diversity-related student programs.
- encouraging the recruitment and participation of underrepresented students in professional and graduate programs.