Benefits Heading link
Note: Benefits are provided by the State of Illinois and University of Illinois consistent with University policy and applicable State and Federal law. Complete Plan Descriptions are available through the University Benefit Center.
- Vacation leave of 10 working days per year, accruable only within current residency program. Residents are also entitled to University-designated holidays, two or four floating holidays and gift days (if offered by the University). Staffing duties, including on-call, may require the resident to work on these days. Request for days off must be submitted in advance to the Residency Program Director (RPD) for approval. There is no terminal payment for unused leave.
- Sick leave of 13 non-cumulative calendar days per year within the current residency program. Sick leave may be used for illness, injury, or to obtain medical or dental treatment for the resident, spouse, or child. PGY2 residents may be entitled to a Family Medical Leave under the standard eligibility requirements (see Resident Leave of Absence Policy). Vacation time and/or sick time (as appropriate) can be used for a portion of this leave.
- Leave from the program for personal reasons will be first credited as vacation time. Additional unpaid time off must be approved by the RPD, who may request relevant documentation to substantiate the reason for the leave. Regardless of the reason for taking leave, the resident’s completion date may be delayed in order to fulfill time requirements for certification (see Resident Leave of Absence Policy). Military leave will be granted consistent with applicable law and University policy.
- Reasonable time for paid leave for attendance at conferences, workshops, or other professional educational activities, scheduled with the approval of the RPD. Reimbursement of costs for attending functions or for other educational activities varies annually.
- Health and dental insurance are available to the individual resident at nominal cost in accordance with university policy.
- Other benefits not mentioned here, including, but not limited to, dependent care, tax deferred annuities, and tuition waiver, are provided consistent with University plans.
- All residents are covered for professional liability insurance through the University Risk Management and Self-Insurance program or through individual affiliated institution plans while performing duties directly related to their educational programs.
- Meal vouchers and on-site sleeping facilities for residents rotating on night and weekend call, are provided.
- At least one lab coat is issued to resident and remain the property of the University.
- As UIC employees, residents may use the Employee Assistance Services for counseling and referral services through the Human Resources Office. Residents may receive assistance for psychological, legal, financial, substance abuse or family related problems.